Kenpon chakushoku, Mounted on a frame,Three-dimensional artwork extended over the inner doors of the minutre shrine≪The dimension of the main artwork≫
53.3cm in height, 47.3cm in width, the height of a miniature shrine: 93.1cm
It is said that Chiko Hosshi achieved enlightenment from this authentic Chiko Mandala, but the original mandala was destroyed by fire at Zentei-in temple in the Hotoku Era Riot in 1451. Therefore, Jinson, a successor of Kofuku-ji temple Daijo-in, and Yositaka（Junen）, a priest of Gokuraku-bo, planned to restore the 2nd Chiko Mandala, and ordered Norihashi (Seiken) in Edokoro Shonan-za(an organization responsible for art productions of the court and temples/shrines) at Kofuku-ji.
According to “Daijo-in Jisha Zojiki” (miscellaneous records of the Daijo-ji temple and shrine), Seiken started reproduction of the Chiko Mandala diagram in September 1497, and he completed it in June 1498. When he delivered toJinson, he received 5Kens as a reward. In December 1498,Yositaka（Junen）received ”Chiko Hosshi Shari-den”, that is a miniature shrine to enshrine the Chiko Hosshi’s ashes.
On the bottom surface in this miniature shrine, in front of the mandala, a trace was left where a golden container with lotus flowers had been placed. On both side doors, the four heavenly kings’ images were depicted as if they were guarding the ashes enshrined inside. Technically, it is referred to as “Chiko Mandala miniature shrine for storing the ashes”.
Institute for Research of Cultural Property, Gangoji
Revised in July 2016
Set in the land of beginnings with a history spanning 1,300 years,
Gangoji is a National Treasure and World Heritage Site of Nara.